Ditch the dreaded “So, what do you do?” and try one of these fun dinner party conversation starters instead. Using a conversation starter can help lighten the mood, create memorable discussions and conversations, and allow guests to open up and get to know each other better.
I know what you’re thinking: “But how do you subtly introduce a conversation starter without sounding like a prompt?”
Here are some tips:
- Ask the conversation starter during a lull in conversation. As long as it’s interesting, your guests will appreciate the effort, even if it sounds like you prepared the question in advance.
- Pose a question that fits with the current conversation. For example, if a guest complains about their job, ask the group about everyone’s worst jobs.
- Make it a game. Play “For It or Against It”, where you introduce a neutral topic to your guests, and everyone has to go around the table or room saying whether they’re for or against it. The more neutral and basic the prompt is, the better. Some ideas to get you started could be bread, velvet, fake plants, etc. You want to avoid controversial topics and keep it light.
Fun Dinner Party Conversation Starters
I’ve grouped these conversation starters into themes. Hopefully, one or a few will be worthy enough for you to bust out at your next dinner party. And if you have others to add, leave a comment at the end of this post!
- What’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever googled?
- Have you ever googled something so bizarre that you questioned your own sanity?
Nostalgia and Denials
- Is there anything you used to like but isn’t cool, so now you deny ever liking it?
- What’s a childhood hobby or interest that you secretly wish you could still pursue?
- Did you have any embarrassing fashion phases growing up? Care to share?
- What was your very first job?
- Rank these from best to worst: Wine, Gin, Beer, and Cider.
- If you could create your own signature cocktail, what would it be called and what ingredients would it have?
- What’s the most extravagant purchase you’ve ever made?
- If you could splurge on one luxury item without any budget constraints, what would it be?
Annoyances and Oddities
- What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
- Is there a specific sound that drives you crazy?
- What’s something weird or odd you do at home when nobody’s watching?
- If you had to wear a t-shirt with one embarrassing slogan or image on it for a month, what would it be?
- If you had to get a tattoo the size of a pack of gum, what and where on your body would it be?
- Can anyone do impressions or accents?
- Have you ever fallen down a weird internet rabbit hole? What was it about?
- Have you ever randomly encountered a celebrity or someone famous? Share the story!
- Where is the most random place you’ve been picked up?
Would you Rather
- Would you rather lose your sense of smell and taste or sight?
- Would you rather give up alcohol or coffee?
- Would you rather have to live in a place that never went below 25 degrees celsius or never went above 10 degrees celsius.
- Would you rather lose an arm or a leg?
- What is your favorite dance move? Do you care to demo it?
- Have you ever participated in a flash mob or impromptu dance party?
- What’s the funniest dance fail or embarrassing dance moment you’ve experienced?
- If you could be a contestant on any game show, which one would you choose and how would you win?
Talents and Guilty Pleasures
- What’s your strangest hidden talent?
- Is there a talent or skill you’ve always wanted to learn but haven’t yet?
- What’s a recent trend that you’re secretly into?